Know about ‘Charaidev Maidam’ nominated by the Center for UNESCO World Heritage tag
Charaideo Maidams Unesco: The Central Government will send a proposal to UNESCO to nominate Charaideo Maidam of Assam as a World Heritage Site. The Central Government has selected Charaidev Maidam out of 52 sites across India for UNESCO nomination.
The Charaideo Maidam represents the late medieval mound burial tradition of the Tai Ahom community in Assam dating back to the 13-19th centuries.
History and Significance of Charaidev Maidam
Charaideo is a Tai Ahom community word in which three Tai Ahom words, Che-Rai-Doi. “Che” means city or town, “Rai” means “to shine” and “Doi” means hill. In short, Charaideo means, “a shining town. Which as a whole sentence is referred to as “a shining town situated on a hilltop.”.
History of Charaideo Maidam
Charaideo, commonly known as the Pyramid of Assam, was the original capital of the Ahom kings built by Chaolung Sukhapa, the founder of the Ahom dynasty, around 1229 AD. Which is currently located in the foothills of Nagaland.
Although the capital of the Ahom kingdom was changed several times, Charaideo remained the symbolic centre. It houses the sacred tombs of Ahom kings and queens and is also a sacred place for the Ahom ancestral deities.
The 42 tombs on the Charaideo hills of Ahom kings and queens are comparable to the Kaloor pyramids in Egypt. Charaideo Maidam is a wonderful place revealing the exquisite architecture and skill of the sculptors and masons of Assam during the medieval days.
From the point of view of architecture, it is a unique example of the best engineering of medieval Ahom architecture. The Charaideo Maidam also has a large underground cellar with one or more chambers, with a vaulted superstructure and covered by mounds of earthen mounds.
Nomination of Charaideo Maidam to UNESCO
Nominated on the occasion of the birth anniversary of Ahom commander Lachit Barphukan. Assam State’s Charaideo Maidam gets nominated for UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The nomination of Charaideo Maidam as a World Heritage Site comes at a time when Assam is celebrating the 400th birth anniversary of the great commander of the Ahom community, Lachit Barphukan.
Lachit Barphukan was an Ahom general, best known for his leadership in the Battle of Saraighat, in which the invasion of the Mughal army under the command of Ram Singh I was repulsed.
Inspiration has been drawn from Lachit Barphukan to strengthen Indian naval power, revive inland water transport and build infrastructure related to naval strategy.
The Lachit Barphukan Gold Medal is awarded to the best cadet of the National Defense Academy. This medal was instituted in the year 1999 for defense personnel to take inspiration from Barphukan’s gallantry and emulate his sacrifice.
What are UNESCO World Heritage Sites?
UNESCO World Heritage Sites are special places (such as forest areas, mountains, lakes, deserts, monuments, buildings, or cities, etc.) that are selected by the World Heritage Site Committee and this committee oversees these sites under the auspices of UNESCO. I do
The purpose of this program is to select and preserve such places of the world which are important for humanity from the point of view of world culture. Under certain circumstances, financial assistance is also given to such places by this committee.
As of July 2021, about 1154 sites have been declared as World Heritage Sites all over the world, including 897 cultural, 218 natural, 39 mixed and 138 other sites.
Each heritage site is the property of the country in which the site is located; But it is also in the interest of the international community to preserve them for the future generations and for the benefit of humanity. The whole world community has the responsibility of its protection.
UNESCO World Heritage Site in India
40 sites in our country India have been placed in the list of World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. Let us know which are those places in our country.
Sl. World Heritage Site Related State/Territory Declared Year
1. Agra Fort Uttar Pradesh 1983
2. Taj Mahal Uttar Pradesh 1983
3. Ajanta Caves Maharashtra 1983
4. Ellora Caves Maharashtra 1983
5. Konark Sun Temple Orissa 1984
6. Monuments of Mahabalipuram Tamil Nadu 1984
7. Kaziranga National Park Assam 1985
8. Manas National Park Assam 1985
9. Keoladeo National Park Rajasthan 1985
10. Group of Monuments at Hampi Karnataka 1986
11. Group of Monuments of Khajuraho Madhya Pradesh 1986
12. Fatehpur Sikri Uttar Pradesh 1986
13. Churches and Convents of Goa Goa 1986
14. Elephanta Caves Maharashtra 1987
15. Sundarbans National Park West Bengal 1987
16. Group of Monuments at Pattadakal Karnataka 1987
17. Chola Temples Tamil Nadu 1987, 2004
18. Nanda Devi and Valley of Flowers National Park Uttarakhand 1988, 2005
19. Buddhist Stupa of Sanchi Madhya Pradesh 1989
20. Humayun’s Tomb Delhi 1993
21. Qutub Minar and its Monuments Delhi 1993
22. Indian Mountain Railway, Darjeeling Various Indian states 1999, 2005, 2008
23. Mahabodhi Temple of Bodhgaya Bihar 2002
24. Bhimbetka Caves Madhya Pradesh 2003
25. Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus Maharashtra 2004
26. Champaner – Pavagadh Archaeological Park Gujarat 2004
27. Red Fort Delhi 2007
28. Jantar – Mantar, Jaipur Rajasthan 2010
29. Western Ghats Maharashtra, Goa, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Kerala 2012
30. Hill Forts of Rajasthan Rajasthan 2013
31. Great Himalayan National Park Himalayan Pradesh 2014
32. Rani Ki Vav Gujarat 2014
33. Nalanda University Bihar 2016
34. Kangchenjunga National Park Sikkim 2016
35. Lee. Corbusier’s Architecture Chandigarh 2016
36. Historic City of Ahmedabad Gujarat 2017
37. Victorian and Art Deco Ensemble of Mumbai Maharashtra 2018
38. Pink City Jaipur Rajasthan 2019
39. Ramappa Temple Telangana 2021
40. Dholavira Gujarat 2021
UNESCO ie United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, is a constituent body of the United Nations. Its mission is to promote international peace through education, nature, social science, culture and communication.
This special organization of the United Nations was formed on 16 November 1945. Its purpose is to establish peace and security through international cooperation of education and culture, so that there is a global consensus for justice, rule of law, human rights and fundamental freedoms as described in the Charter of the United Nations.
UNESCO has 195 member states, 8 associate member states, and two observer member states. Its headquarter is in Paris (France).
UNESCO conducts its activities mainly through education, natural sciences, social and human sciences, culture and information, and communication. It sponsors programs to promote literacy and supports the preservation of World Heritage buildings and parks.
Source: Prasar Bharti
For the Latest Educational News (CBSE, ICSE, and State Board News) and live news updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Join our Premium Telegram Channel. Read more on Latest Exams & Results News on Shikshapress.com.
Leave a Reply