GUIDELINES FOR POST GRADUATE INDIRA GANDHI SCHOLARSHIP FOR SINGLE GIRL CHILD
It is observed that number of girls as against boys in certain states is declining which is a matter of great concern. The females are even forced to give birth to male child. In such circumstances education of women needs to be used and effective means for their empowerment and education will prepare them to have a control over their lives. The mindset which militates against the girl child could not keep pace with economic progress and literacy. The Government of India declared elementary education as a basic human right of every child. The Union Government of India has taken various steps to uplift the status of women by implementing various schemes including free education for girls. In order to achieve and promote girls education, UGC has introduced a Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child with an aim to compensate direct costs of girl education to all levels especially for such girls who happen to be the only girl child in their family.
Post-Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child For PG Programs
OBJECTIVES FOR POST GRADUATE INDIRA GANDHI SCHOLARSHIP
The objectives of the proposed scheme are:
a) To support post graduate education of single girl child in postgraduate courses only.
b) To recognize the value of observance of small family norm.
TARGET GROUP FOR POST GRADUATE INDIRA GANDHI SCHOLARSHIP
- Girl students who are admitted in the first year of PG courses in the following Universities / Colleges and happen to be the only girl child in the family:
- Universities/Institutions/Colleges included under section 2(f) & and 12(B) of UGC Act.
- Deemed to be Universities included under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 and eligible to receive grants-in-aid from UGC. Those Deemed Universities which do not receive funds from the Central/ State Government are not eligible institutions under the scheme.
- Universities/Institutions/College funded by Central/State Government.
- Institutes of National Importance.
- Girl students without having any brother or the girl student who are twin daughters/ fraternal daughter may also apply for scholarship under the aforesaid scheme. In a family if one son and one daughter is available then girl child will not be considered for scholarship under the scheme.
ELIGIBILITY FOR POST GRADUATE INDIRA GANDHI SCHOLARSHIP FOR SINGLE GIRL CHILD
- Slots : 3000
- Age limit: Girl students up to the age of 30 years at the time of admission in first year of PG courses are eligible.
- The Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship For Single Girl Child Scheme is applicable to such single girl child who has taken admission in regular, full time first year Masters Degree course in any designated university or a post graduate college.
Admission to PG Course in Distance Education mode is not covered under the scheme.
i) Girl students without having any brother or the girl student who are twin daughters/ fraternal daughter may also apply for scholarship under the aforesaid scheme. In a family if one son and one daughter is available then girl child will not be considered for scholarship under the scheme.
ii) Girl students up to the age of 30 years at the time of admission in PG courses are eligible.
iii)The scheme is applicable to such single girl child who has taken admission in regular, full time first year Masters Degree course in any designated university or a post graduate college. This scholarship is available to PG-I year student only.
iv) Admission to PG Course in Distance education mode is not covered under the scheme.
Amount of fellowship: Rs.36,200/- p.a. for a period of two years only i.e. full duration of a PG course. No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
HOW TO APPLY FOR INDIRA GANDHI SCHOLARSHIP ?
Procedure For Applying For Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship For Single Girl Child
- The candidates fulfilling the eligibility conditions are required to apply online on National Scholarship Portal after initiation of application process and notice to be published on UGC website.
- The host institution where the candidate is studying is required to verify the online application.
- It is expected from the institutions where student has taken admission in the first year PG course, no tuition fees will be charged by the institute from girl students to pursue PG degree course in Universities/Colleges/Institutions.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLYING FOR HIGHER EDUCATION,INDIRA GANDHI SCHOLARSHIP FOR SINGLE GIRL
- Applications will be invited once in a year on the National e-Scholarship Portal of the Government of India. Short notification will also be uploaded on the UGC website.
- Incomplete applications will be summarily rejected. Only verified online applications will be considered for award of scholarship.
- Affidavit regarding Single girl child status may be uploaded as per format given in Annexure-II.
- Joining report as per Annexure-I has to be uploaded.
SELECTION PROCEDURE OF SINGLE GIRL SCHOLARSHIP
- 3,000 fresh scholarships will be awarded every year.
- The awardee can avail of other scholarship also during the tenure of this scholarship.
The financial assistance available under the scheme is as follows:
JOINING AND DURATION OF SCHOLARSHIP FOR SINGLE GIRL
- The scholar would be awarded from the date of joining the course as certified by the University/ Institution/ College.
- After selection, the awardees will be paid scholarship on DBT mode on annual basis.
RENEWALS OF INDIRA GANDHI SINGLE GIRL SCHOLARSHIP
- The Indira Gandhi scholarship will be renewed for the next year of study on receipt of renewal.
- Students failing to get promoted to the next class/ level would forfeit the scholarship.
- Change in course of study will not be permitted. If the awardee changes the course of study, the scholarship will stand forfeited from the date of such a change.
- GIRL CHILD Scheme will be implemented and monitored by the UGC.
- The awardees of previous years will continue to follow the pattern of assistance through UGC/Canara Bank portal.
CANCELLATION OF GIRL CHILD SCHOLARSHIP
- UGC may terminate scholarship of any student in any of the following cases:
- Misconduct of the awardees, if any, reported by the University/College/Institution.
- Unsatisfactory progress report i.e. if the candidate scores less than 55% marks in the first year of Master’s programme (50% in case of Physically Challenged awardee).
- Candidates being found ineligible at a later date shall face the penal action and will also be liable to refund the entire scholarship amount paid.
PROCEDURE FOR RELEASE OF SCHOLARSHIP BY UGC
The fellowship amount shall be disbursed through UGC designated agency into the bank account of the awardee directly with effect from 1ST April of the selection year or the date of joining of the candidate in the first year of Post graduate course as certified by the host institution in the joining report, whichever is later. The list of designated branches of UGC identified agency is available on the UGC portal i.e. www.ugc.ac.in.
- The awardee is required to approach the designated branch along with a Copy of the Award Letter and Joining Report with photograph, address and contact number in the prescribed proforma Annexure-I.
- At the end of every three months the awardee shall submit a ‘Continuation Certificate’ in the prescribed proforma. Annexure-II. This will make the awardee eligible to draw the fellowship for the next three months.
- After completion of one year of the award of fellowship, the concerned awardee shall submit and present her Progress Report in the proforma prescribed by the UGC as given in AnnexureIII.
- After completion of the course a copy of the degree awarded is required to be submitted to the UGC designated agency
Amount of fellowship: Rs.3.100/- p.m for a period of two years only (10 months in the year) i.e. full duration of a PG course. No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
Check official Notification of Post-Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child For PG Programs.pdf
Leave a Reply